Tuesday, January 4, 2011


Over the Christmas holiday I had the privilege of viewing “For Colored Girls.” This by far was a wonderful movie, with a great expressed theme of the joys and pain, and struggles of the African American woman. I enjoyed the film, but was somehow taken back at the fact that throughout the course of the film, it was as though men could do no right!

In the world in which we live today, the images thrown on us are the lazy, dead beats, with saggy pants, fuzzy braids, and hustles that turn more tricks then clowns in that little car at the circus. I am no dummy to big business women like chick flicks, and they will come in droves to see their counter parts be abused, beat, raped, played, dogged or just outright done wrong. Personally for me I think it’s a form of therapy that aids in the viewers ability to relate the characters on film.
Needless to say I know if any man brought his lady there for a date, the evening had to be rather awkward, and on the silent side (lol). Through it all I am not ashamed to say that I was a bit upset by yet another film where men do wrong. I am no angel I believe that I am an imperfect being striving for the shared eternity with a perfect God. With that said, I am still a man who, works everyday, who tends to his children loves his wife, supports her and pushes her to her max even when it makes her uncomfortable at times.
I am a man who gives back to his community one person at a time, I am a man and I am a good man. I still have issues but for once I would like to see a film where the small number of good men get the credit they are due! Credit is not a plaque, or a congratulatory speech, but it’s simply knowing that you are being seen, and you are being shown as an example. To me this type of credit strengthens a man’s awareness of his place to his family, his community and to his people. “For Colored Girls” was a wonderful film, I’d like to throw a pitch “for dark skin men!” lol hahahahahahahahah

No comments:

Post a Comment