Thursday, January 20, 2011

Monecka Freeman's "Hisoceiti" Style

I had my own thoughts about how this blog would go. However when I seen this would begin to take a turn in another direction where I would be showcasing major artist doing major things, there were certain names I jotted down as “must haves,” and the fabulous Monecka Freeman was one of them. I can remember being a stylist in hair school hearing about this woman who was racking up serious charges (compliments) and taking names later.
There have been very few individuals who have caused me to step back and look at my own work and elevate my own game even higher, and I must admit that she indeed was one of them (some others you will be introduced to shortly). Monecka Freeman known throughout Columbus Ohio, and now the rest of the world! Is an entity that you cannot box into one specific category, so it’s evident why I just choose to label her an artist. Innovative, creative, mastering, and stylishly challenging this woman does it all and makes you love to love her, and hate to love her at the same time. The finished product she puts out forces you to love the gift and respect the artist; however your pride hates the fact that secretly you’re sweating this individual so hard. In the end you simply let go and try to keep your knees from buckling at whatever it is she will do next.
 I remember the first time I seen Ms. Freeman, it was years back at a “Hair Wars” hair show at the Aladdin Shrine temple. This woman stepped out on stage with props silver bell bottoms, heels higher than the clouds in the sky and a presence that demanded your attention.
It would be years later that I would actually work with her in a salon and I must tell you, it was a rather intimidating experience. Over the years I have kept tabs on her career. I was more then ecstatic when I began to hear news about her blowing up! In Columbus Ohio, you can always tell when you’re encountering a person who was dropped off in the cornfield that did not belong. She is defiantly one of those individuals. It took some time, and in all honesty I am still in shock that she even gave me the opportunity, and or the privilege of an interview(I’m so giddy about this!), but today I want to present to you Monecka Freeman. the stylist, the lady, the face of brand that’s sure to have you addicted!






MM: Okay! Let’s get the regular stuff out the way. How long have you been doing the beauty thing?

MF: ABOUT 18 YEARS.
MM: Were you always interested in hair or was this a detour to another successful destination?

MF: NO! ACTUALLY I WANTED TO BE A FASHION DESIGNER.

MM: When you had the epiphany that hair was what you were here to do, what was that moment like?   

MF: IT’S CRAZY BECAUSE I REMEMBER IT LIKE IT WAS YESTERDAY. THERE WERE A FEW PEOPLE THAT WERE IN THE INDUSTRY THAT INSPIRED ME, GROWING UP MY MOM WAS A STYLIST, ANOTHER STYLIST RONI ROBINSON I HAD ALWAYS WANTED TO BE JUST LIKE AND ADMIRED, THEN THERE WAS MY NIECES MOM CYNTHIA GILBERT WHO COULD MAKE A MIRACLE OUT OF NOTHING.  BUT IT WASN'T UNTIL  THIS  HAIRSHOW BACK IN THE DAY AT VALLEY DALE GIVEN BY SOME DETROIT SALONS,  THIS ONE SALON IN PARTICULAR THAT I BELIEVE WAS CALLED "LITTLE WILLIES "  THE LATE MR. LITTLE WORKED THERE. THEY DID A PARODY OF MC HAMMERS "TOO LEGIT TO QUIT" IT WAS SOOOO OUT OF HERE,  ABOUT 20 MODELS, THEY HAD THE SAME OUTFITS AS THE VIDEO, THE FLYEST HAIRDOS,  AND THE SKIT WAS ON POINT.   JUST SOMETHING YOU HAD TO SEE. (I’m wondering if we could find that hair show video)  AT THE TIME I WAS IN COLLEGE AND HOME FOR THE WEEKEND, BUT HONESTLY I WASNT GIVING SCHOOL MY 100% ANYWAY.   I WAS CONSTANTLY COMING BACK & FORTH HOME, NOT REALLY SURE OF WHAT I WANTED TO DO, AFTER SEEING THAT SHOW,  I KNEW THE HAIR INDUSTRY NEEDED ME,  AND IT WAS WHERE I WANTED TO BE.

MM: What aided you in choosing this career path?  

MF:  REALLY MY PASSION FOR HAIR, FASHION & THE IDEA OF BEING A CONFIDENT WOMAN, just MAKING OTHER WOMEN CONFIDENT.

MM: Did/do you ever second guess your decision?

MF: ABSOLUTELY!  IVE HAD MANY DREAMS TO DO SO MANY OTHER THINGS, LIKE ID ALWAYS WANTED TO GO TO MEDICAL SCHOOL; I STILL DO, FOR PLASTIC SURGERY.  SECOND, I REALLY WISH I HAD PERSUED THE FASHION INDUSTRY.  IVE BEEN WORKING ON A CLOTHING LINE FOR OVER 10 YEARS THAT I’D REALLY LIKE TO CONCENTRATE ON AND BRING TO LIFE.  ALTHOUGH MY LOVE FOR HAIR IS NEVER ENDING, I NEVER GET TIRED AND WOULDNT TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING.

MM: You have been in this for a long time. What would you say the biggest challenge is for newcomers into the beauty field?

MF:  CUSTOMER SERVICE. THIS IS SOMETHING WE, AS BLACK STYLISTS HAVE FAILED AT IN THE PAST AND THE COMPETITION IS REALLY THICK NOW, TIMES HAVE CHANGED AND MONEY ISNT FLOWING LIKE IT ONCE WAS. SO YOU HAVE TO BRING SOMETHING ELSE TO THE TABLE BESIDES A QUICK WEAVE.  THEY MUST STEP UP THE CUSTOMER SERVICE, WORK ETHICS, AND TIMELINESS.  KEEP UP; GET YOUR PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE ON.  YOURS TOOLS SHOULD COINCIDE WITH YOUR SKILLS. ME MYSELF, I WILL PAY AS MUCH FOR SHEARS AS I WILL FOR SHOES.

MM: When you first hit the scene there was a group of you, who were all cold blooded and seriously talented in your own respective rights. I am talking about Salon Puzzles. Looking back when you were doing hair then, and now what was different about the industry? What would you say was different about the stylist mentality, and what would you say is different about salon culture? 

MF: BACK THEN STYLIST WERE HUSTLERS IN EVERY SENSE OF THE WORD. WE WORKED!!! AND HARD!! WE MISSED LOTS OF CONCERTS, COMEDY SHOWS & MAJOR EVENTS DUE TO HEAVY WORK SCHEDULES. IF YOU HAD KIDS, GOD RAISED THEM (JOKING) THE ONLY TIME WE TOOK OFF WORK WAS MAYBE FOR THE PROUD LADY, BRONNER BROS, OR THE FREAKNIK LOL.  SEEING THIS, WHEN I WENT TO VISIT SALONS LIKE DONNIES, CHIBAMBA, APOGEE, AND TOUCH OF CLASS.  THOSE  WERE THE REASONS I DROPPED MY MANAGERS COURSE TO GET OUT OF COSMETOLGY SCHOOL A LITTLE EARLY, I WAS EAGER TO GET INTO THE SALON. I HAD THAT DRIVE TO MAKE MONEY.    THINGS ARE SOOOO DIFFRENT NOW, THE STYLIST NOW HAVE NO DRIVE OR AMBITION, AND THEY THINK CLIENTS ARE GOING TO FALL FROM THE SKY. BASING THIER ENTIRE CAREER ON "WALK-INS".  THEY JUST WANNA "DO HAIR” NOT PREPARING FOR SUCCESS.  MERELY LIVING FOR TODAY, NOT THE LONG HAUL.   SALONS TODAY HAVE STYLIST THAT ARE DIVIDED INSTEAD OF BEING A TEAM.   THATS THE WAY WE WERE AT PUZZLES, SO THATS ALL I KNOW (To be a team) SO ALTHOUGH WEVE MOSTLY WENT OUR OWN SEPERATE WAYS, WE ALL ARE SEPERATE FROM EACH OTHER BUT NEVER APART. WE ALL STILL HAVE CONTACT WITH ONE ANOTHER IN SOME WAY.  I WILL CONFESS THIS:  NONE OF US HAVE GOTTEN OVER THAT SALON, THE TEAM, AND THE SUCCESS.  WE ALL CARRY THE BURDEN OF "WHAT IF" THE” COULDA, WOULDA, SHOULDA". AND THAT'S REAL!

MM: From Salon Puzzles to now, how has Moneeka the stylist, the person, and the business woman grown?

MF: OMG, THIS IS ONE QUESTION I WOULDNT HAVE BEEN ABLE TO ANSWER ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO, BECAUSE I GREW OVERNIGHT BASICALLY. YES, I HAVE ALWAYS HAD THE SKILL, THE NAME, THE BUZZ IN THE STREETS, BUT NOW I HAVE THE DISCIPLINE TO BE CONSISTENT,  COME TO WORK ON TIME, THE MATURITY TO BE PATIENT, REALIZING ITS ABOUT THE CUSTOMER, AND THE KNOWLEDGE TO KEEP BUILDING MY BRAND, MY BUSINESS BY STEPPING UP MY CUSTOMER SERVICE LEVEL. SOMETHING MANY STYLISTS & SALONS LACK.

MM: You are not only noted for your skill and talent with hair, but you are also known for your sense of style. What creative forces influence you?

MF: I GREW UP AROUND STYLISH PEOPLE AND MY LOVE FOR THE FASHION INDUSTRY TOO BUT ID HAVE TO SAY THE MUSIC INDUSTRY, I THINK I SECRETLY WOULD HAVE LIKE TO BEEN A PRODUCER OR SOMETHING.  



MM: Are you still doing hair in stilettos all day?

MF: (lol) NO!!!! IM AN UGG GIRL, EVERY COLOR.  I LEARNED YEARS AGO THAT IF I WANTED LONGEVITY I'D HAVE TO PUT THEM HEELS AWAY.  I GO TO WORK SUPER COMFORTABLE NOW, BUT I DO MISS THAT ABOUT THE SALONS, YOU GO IN APOGEE OR TOUCH OF CLASS AND THEY WOULD ALL BE FLY, EVERYBODY WOULD BE AT WORK EVERYDAY FRESH. I CAN REMEMBER GOING TO BUY AN OUTFIT JUST FOR WORK THE NEXT DAY.  BUT IVE RUINED A LOT OF CLOTHES OVER THE YEARS SO I DRESS DOWN FOR THE MOST PART.

MM: Outside of handbags to die for! (lol) What are the fashion must have(s) on your list?

MF: SHOES, SHOES, SHOES, THEY ALWAYS FIT :)  BUT IM A JEWELRY NUT TOO.

MM: Do you have a favorite time period of style?

MF: YES I WISH I WOULD HAVE BEEN GROWN IN THE 70'S AND HANGING OUT WITH BEYONCE’S MOMMA TINA KNOWLES, I LOVE THE STYLE FROM BACK THEN.  ON THE FLIPSIDE, I LIKE THE STYLE NOW TOO. REALLY, I'VE BEEN DOING ME, SO IM GLAD IT CAUGHT UP TO ME.  MATCHING IS NOW OBSOLETE; YOU CAN BASICALLY THROW ON JEANS A TEE, JACKET, CHUNKY JEWELRY, A GREAT HANDBAG, AND SHOES. 20 INCH HAIR OR A FLY CUT AND YOU’RE DONE.  SO THE STYLE TODAY IS EFFORTLESS AND I LIKE THAT A LOT.

MM: Being a person who turns heads all the time. What things turn your head?  

MF: MOTIVATION.  WHEN WE OUR PEOPLE ARE BLESSED AND SUCCESSFUL. IF IT'S THE LOTTO, OR A SCRATCH OFF :)  IT MAKES ME FEEL SOME KINDA WAY TO SEE US AS BLACKS "GET ON".  I FIND MYSELF GETTING MISTY EYED FOR PUFFY WHEN HE GOES DOUBLE PLATINUM LIKE HE'S FROM MY NEIGHBORHOOD OR SOMETHING. IT’S A GOOD FEELING. IT MOTIVATES ME. 

MM: How do you feel about societies current views on women not being able to work together in fields like yours? Is the cattiness something that is going to always be a factor?

MF: IM PROBABLY GOING TO GET BASHED FOR THIS ONE, BUT ITS OUR PEOPLE, WERE OUR WORST ENEMY.  YES IT WILL BECAUSE WOMEN ARE JEALOUS CREATURES BY NATURE AND CANT EVER BE HAPPY FOR ANYONE OTHER THAN THEMSELVES IF EVER THEY ARE HAPPY.  IVE HAD MY SHARE OF PROBLEMS IN THE SALON BUT FOR THE MOST PART I MASTERED THE FACT THAT I WAS THERE TO WORK, NOT A GIRL SCOUT GROUP, SO I DID JUST THAT. I WORKED, WENT HOME, AND HELD MY FRIENDSHIPS/RELATIONSHIPS OUTSIDE OF THE SALON.   RARELY MIXING IT UP WITH THE OTHER STYLIST.  EVEN THOUGH YOU'RE THERE WITH ONE ANOTHER TOO LONG TO NOT GET ALONG.   THE ONLY SALON I WORKED IN THAT I REALLY BEFRIENDED ANYONE WAS SALON PUZZLE, AFTER THAT, IT WAS STRICTLY A BUSINESS THING. FUNNY THING IS COLUMBUS SEEMS TO BE THE ONLY CITY WHERE ALL THE HAIRSTYLISTS DONT LIKE EACH OTHER.  I RECENTLY MET A GROUP OF REALLY COOL LADIES IN DALLAS DURING ALL STAR WEEKEND. ONE GIRL NAMED RASHAUNDA PALMER; SHE LIVES IN CLEVELAND, OWNER OF PALMEROS LUXE STUDIO.  WEVE KEPT IN TOUCH AND I WENT TO CLEVELAND TO HANG OUT AND RECENTLY TO HER HAIR SHOW. A LOT OF SALONS IN CLEVELAND WERE IN ATTENDANCE. THEY WELCOMED ME WITH OPEN ARMS.   I WAS SUPRISED TO FIND THAT A GROUP OF THEM WERE COOL AND TIGHT AND WERE ALL STYLIST AND SALON OWNERS.  SOMETHING THAT HAS NEVER OCCURED IN THIS CITY.

MM: Are you one of those women who can give another woman a compliment?

MF: ABSOLUTELY, I ALWAYS TELL A WOMAN SHE IS PRETTY, SHE LOOKS GOOD IN HER OUTFIT.  OR WORKING A SKIRT OR HAIRSTYLE. IT MAKES ME FEEL GOOD TO GIVE ANOTHER WOMAN A COMPLIMENT

MM: You’re in a place now where you are seriously moving and shaking. Is this where you planned you would be at this stage in your life?

MF: NO, I REALLY DIDNT KNOW WHERE I WAS GOING, THINGS CHANGED FOR ME OVERNIGHT AND I WASNT READY IN SO MANY WAYS.  I HAD AN OPPORTUNITY COME MY WAY THAT I ALMOST MISSED OUT ON.  I WAS INTRODUCED TO RECORDING ARTIST "KEYSHIA COLE" BY A GOOD FREIND OF MINES. I STYLED HER HAIR FOR A CONCERT HERE, AND THEY CALLED ME TWO WEEKS LATER TO GO TO JAPAN ON TOUR WITH HER.  I LIED AND SAID I HAD A PASSPORT BECAUSE I THOUGHT IF I HAD ENOUGH MONEY, I COULD BUY A QUICK PASSPORT.  LITTLE DID I KNOW IT DIDNT WORK THAT WAY.  I WENT TO THE POST OFFICE AND THEY SAID THE QUICKEST WAY WAS TO GO TO DETROIT OR CHICAGO. I COULD GET IT IN AN HOUR IN EITHER PLACE.  I LEFT THE POST OFFICE AND HEADED TO THE AIRPORT, BOUGHT A TICKET AT THE COUNTER AND CRIED ALL THE WAY TO CHICAGO.  I WAS HAPPY & SAD BECAUSE I ALWAYS KNEW I'D GET AN OPPORTUNITY LIKE THIS AND NOW I WASNT READY FOR IT. AS MUCH TRAVELING I HAD DONE, I COULDNT BELIEVE I DIDNT HAVE A PASSPORT.  I ARRIVED THERE, 2 CABS AND 4 HOURS LATER, I HAD THE PASSPORT & WAS BACK IN COLUMBUS BEFORE 5PM.  THE REST OF THIS STORY, IM SAVING FOR MY BOOK LOL.    THANK GOD FOR MAKIN ME QUICK ON MY FEET, BECAUSE I HAD TO GET READY OR GET LEFT BEHIND, AND THAT MY FRIEND WASNT HAPPENING.  I GOT MY MIND RIGHT, AND HERE I AM,   BETTER THAN EVER AND NOT JUST AT A WEAVE EITHER.

MM: “HISOCIETI Hair Couture.” How was this birthed?

MF: IT IS THE NAME OF THIS LONG AWAITED CLOTHING LINE.  HISOCIETI....GENERATION COUTURE, SO THE SALON CAME FIRST AND I JUST USED THE NAME.

MM: The Name alone to me says bring your bill folds and drop your annex cards on the counter! (lol)

MF: EXACTLY!  YOU WANT TO THINK LIKE THAT, ESPECIALLY IF YOU CAN DELIVER.  THERE ARE TOO MANY STYLISTS THAT GAIN CLIENTS BASED ON THE PRICE. I OBTAIN CLIENTS BASED ON THE WORK, CONSISTENCY, SERVICE, TIME, ETC.  IM OFFENDED IF YOU COME TO ME BECAUSE IM "CHEAP", THAT SAYS TO ME THAT YOU'LL GO ANYWHERE IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT.

MM: With all that’s going on in your life, and the high demands of your profession. Would you say it is difficult to maintain a relationship?

MF: NO, NOT AT ALL. IVE GOT A WONDER WOMAN CAPE ON UNDER MY CLOTHES, I CAN WORK ALL DAY, RUN ERRANDS, COME HOME COOK MY MAN DINNER, CLEAN HOUSE,  CATER TO HIM, AND STILL BE AT WORK ON TIME THE NEXT DAY AND DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN. NOW ADD SOME KIDS IN, I MIGHT HAVE A PROBLEM.


MM: Complete these two (2) phrases for me:

In my life I have learned.  . 

CLAIM HAPPINESS FOR YOURSELF. NEVER TO HOLD A GRUDGE. DONT BLOCK YOUR BLESSINGS BY HATING ON OTHERS. MAINLY.... YOU HAVE TO OWN IT IF YOU WANT IT.


The more I live the more I.  .  .

REALIZE IVE BEEN A BIGGER INFLUENCE ON THIS INDUSTRY THAN I KNEW OR BARGAINED FOR. IT JUST HAPPENED. SO I ACCEPT THAT JOB, IT'S MADE ME  WANT TO BE A BETTER PERSON.  HAVE A KINDER SPIRIT, AND BE BEAUTIFUL ON BOTH THE INSIDE AND OUT.


MM: When a person encounters you and walks away. What is it that you want them to leave with, from their experience with you with?

MF: I WANT THEM TO BE INSPIRED BY MY JOURNEY, EXPERIENCES, EVEN MY MISTAKES.  SECRETLY EVEN MY ENEMIES REALLY LOVE ME; I HAVE A CERTAIN EFFECT ON PEOPLE THAT ARE IN MY PRESENCE. SO I LIKE EVERYONE TO LEAVE WITH A PIECE OF ME, ANYTHING THAT MOVES THEM, WEATHER IT BE MY KNOWLEDGE, STYLE, OR CHARACTER.  



Monecka Freeman can be seen everywhere, California, Atlanta, and even Japan. On the covers of Vibe, and King MagazinesHAIR STYLING FOR KEYSHIA COLE<br />
, as well as doing freelance work for various entertainment groups. This woman is bound by determination to make it to the top, and the great thing about her is she is not afraid or too big to take some others up with her as long as they are willing to work. I enjoyed this interview for personal reasons, as this showed me growth in an individual that I was once acquainted with. Don’t get me wrong I think Ms. Hisocieti is still nothing to play with, and if provoked I know for sure she could hold her own, and after the dust settles she’s going to apply high price lip gloss, matching accessories, and a handbag that would have you grind your teeth to the nerve. I feel safe in saying that Monecka has evolved and moved in a better direction for herself, her business and her life. You can tell that she feels a need to educate an impart something into the next generation of stylist coming in. Her continuous passion for what it is she does shows itself through her work and her artistic ways or promoting herself.

If your look needs a total change that makes you any situations original in a room full of carbon copies go see this woman right here.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment